Today we're sharing one of our devotions from last year that is still true today. We pray you find blessings in this message:
I’ve had a few people express to me recently their desire to feel closer to God. I believe most people long for a closer and more intimate relationship with Christ from time to time. I know I do. The question is, how can we make this happen? How can we feel closer to God? Well, I believe Scripture points to a thankful heart:
1 Chronicles 16:34 says, “Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever.”
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, “Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”
Psalm 100:4-5 says, "Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations."
Why do we want to be thankful?
- A thankful heart takes our eyes off ourselves.
- A thankful heart helps us recognize all that we actually have.
- A thankful heart reminds us that God is the source of all that is good.
- A thankful heart is a grateful heart.
- A thankful heart helps us pray.
- A thankful heart reminds us that we’re not in control.
- A thankful heart draws us closer to Him.
What a great time of the year to remember thankfulness. May we each press into Him with a thankful heart this Thanksgiving season. We have a lot to be thankful for.