The Book of Acts starts off saying that Jesus’ birth, life and death was just the beginning. Acts 1:1 says: “I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and teach.” In other words, there’s a lot more to come. Scripture had to be fulfilled.
Check this quick summary of Acts 1:
- Jesus showed Himself to thousands of people over a 40 day period, teaching and giving convincing proofs. This happened after he was crucified, buried, and rose from the grave.
- Right before he went back to heaven, he told his disciples to stay in Jerusalem until his Father sent them His gift.
- This gift was the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit was going to be in and around them at all times, to overflowing. The same is now true for all who believe.
- We will be able to effectively witness locally, regionally, and to all the world.
- Jesus was then taken up in the clouds right in front of them. He will return again some day, the same way he left.
- For 7 days they waited in Jerusalem for the gift of the Holy Spirit. They got together constantly talking about Jesus, the fulfillment of Scriptures, and praying.
- Stay tuned for what will happen in Acts 2!
The Bible is the inspired Word of God that is being fulfilled each and every day. It is also a guide and standard for our faith and practice. Will we stand up for truth?