Your mission this week is to memorize some verse or verses or a part of a verse from the Bible. Commit on Monday to what you're going to memorize and tell somebody your commitment. This Scripture buddy can be a spouse, significant other, family member, co-worker, or friend. And tell them what you'll memorize and that in 7 days you will be able to recite the passage to them without looking at a Bible or note.
Going from Monday to Monday is key with memorization, because it challenges those who work Monday-Friday to not slip up over the weekend. It is difficult to remember any challenging script on day 7 when you don't do anything to help prep yourself on days 5 and 6.
Tips for memorization:
- Challenge yourself, but start small. Don't commit to memorizing an entire chapter in 7 days when it is probably impossible. Commit to one verse, or back-to-back verses. Or if you're like me and want to take things in smaller chunks then commit to no more than 16 words at a time.
- Choose Scripture that is meaningful to you personally. Maybe you're going through an awesome phase of life and you want to memorize verse(s) that praise God. Maybe you're in a time of connecting with newer Christians and you want to memorize something that would be familiar to them. Or perhaps you are more likely to memorize something if there are "actions" to go along with it...pick verses with actions then. If it is meaningful to you, it is more likely you'll remember it.
- Follow a pattern for memorization and brain recall, such as this:
- Read it silently 5 times.
- Read it out loud 5 times.
- Add body language and movement to it, and read it out loud 5 times.
- Close your eyes and speak it out loud 5 times, as best you can. DON'T PEEK IF YOU FEEL YOU MADE A MISTAKE! THIS IS KEY.
- Repeat this process 3 times a day.
- Hint: Use non-focused times of the day to practice such as: when you're washing your hands, when you're waiting for your computer to start up, when you're brushing your teeth, right before you fall asleep.
Do you have a prayer request? Please click the button below and send it to us.