Today we look at Daniel interpreting the dream of Nebuchadnezzar, the King of Babylon that has taken over Israel. Daniel, after seeking God's mercy, declares to the king that his dream is about Israel. The dream shows an image of a man with a head of gold, chest and arms of silver, stomach of brass, legs of iron, and feet and toes of iron and clay ruling over Israel. What does it mean?
Here’s what Daniel told King Nebuchadnezzar:The body parts of the man represent different Gentile powers ruling over Israel.
- The the head of gold = Babylon, currently ruled by him, King Nebuchadnezzar.
- The chest and arms of silver = the Medes and Persians (who will rule in 538BC)
- The stomach of brass = the Greeks headed by Alexander the Great (who will rule in 330BC)
- The legs of iron = the Romans (who will rule in 63BC, during Jesus’ time)
- The feet and ten toes of iron and clay = ? Has this happened yet?
- It makes sense that the iron represents the iron of Rome as we are still influenced by Roman culture
- The clay represents the rule of common people, maybe through our current democratic systems?
All we really know is that Jesus said that Jerusalem would be trodden under foot by the Gentiles until their time was fulfilled. Meaning, when Jerusalem came under the rule of the Israeli government, it would be a sign that the time of the Gentiles had come to an end. In 1967 Jerusalem, once again, came under the control of the Israeli government.
What we can say now is that, up to this point, this interpretation has been totally accurate in presenting the ruling kingdoms over Israel. HOWEVER, we are looking toward the second coming of Jesus Christ in which He shall reign forever and ever.
May we continually look up, for our redemption draws closer.
Adapted from a Chuck Smith sermon found on Blue Letter Bible