Photo credit: Pizza Ranch, Inc.
I want to talk to you about inheritance. When my grandpa died when I was younger, I could pick one thing from his desk as my inheritance, something to remember him by. I chose the bolo tie he was last photographed wearing. I keep it in my office with me to remind me of him and the type of man he was.
Jesus talked to his disciples about an inheritance as well.
John 16:7 says: “But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the counselor (Holy Spirit) will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.”
GOOD NEWS FOR US. Although Jesus is leaving (Jesus was about to die a horrible death on the cross ), He is leaving something for all who believe.
He’s going to give us a counselor….The Holy Spirit:
- The Holy Spirit will be with us….in us…and around us
- The Holy Spirit will help us…guide us…and protect us
- The Holy Spirit will let us know when we’re sinning…guilt
- The Holy Spirit will continually draw us to Jesus
- The Holy Spirit will give us the power to live a victorious life…not perfect
May we all claim this great gift of the Holy Spirit as our earthly inheritance.