Do you ever wonder about some of the events that took place in Genesis? I came across this website that helped me think about The Flood and Noah's Ark in a new way. Check out some of their points and the web link for more information on each of these points:
- Noah's ark was built only to float, not to sail anywhere.
- The length-to-width-to-height ratio of 300 to 50 to 30 is what shipbuilders today often use. This is the best ratio for stability in stormy weather. (God thinks of everything!) (Genesis 6:15-16)
- Noah did not have to get the animals. God brought them to him (Genesis 6:20)
- The highest mountains were covered by 15 cubits of water. That's half the height of the ark. The ark was safe from scraping bottom at all times. (Genesis 7:20)
- The large mountains, as we have them today, didn't exist until after the Flood when "the mountains arose and the valleys sank down." (Psalm 104:5-9)
- The Flood was initiated by the breaking open of the fountains of the deep (Genesis 7:11). This probably indicates massive volcanic and seismic activity, which would have divided the crust into the various tectonic plates that we have today.