Photo Credit: Sarah Graham
Today's Text: Judges 6: 11-16
“Gideon was an ordinary person. He was a farmer, and a timid one at that. When God called him to deliver Israel from the Midianites, Gideon’s initial response was, “How can I save Israel? Indeed my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.” God promised that He would be with Gideon and that he would be able to accomplish what he had been asked to do. Gideon’s obedience brought victory to Israel.
Today God is calling ordinary people to do His work and assuring us that He will be with us as we do. Because we are ordinary people being used by God, it’s obvious that the power comes from God and not from us.” Taken from Ordinary People from God Hears Her- compilation of devotions by women published by Our Daily Bread.
Are you tempted to think like Gideon in verse 13, “why then has all this happened to us?” when you’re faced with unpleasant circumstances? I sure am. It’s so easy for us to doubt God when things aren’t going how we think they should. But, I love the Lord’s reassurance to Gideon in verse 16. “But I will be with you”. Do you feel peace in that statement like I do?
God uses ordinary people like you, me, and Gideon, not because of our extra-ordinary strength or skills, but BECAUSE we are ordinary. He hasn’t left us alone at any point, but is present through the tough and tougher situations we face. This time of trials in my family is not meant for nothing, but God can use it because it is so ordinary to this world. Kendall is not the only one looking for a job. I am not the only one facing medical uncertainties. When I’m tempted to feel so alone in my circumstances, I can remind myself that God is right here with me and can use these experiences to reach some other ordinary person. All he’s asking of me right now is obedience to Him in faith.
I was thinking about why God would want to use ordinary people and came up with these reasons:
- Because we are ordinary all the glory can go to God.
- “Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” Matthew 5:16
- Because we are ordinary we have no choice but to rely on God’s strength to get us through the tough times.
- “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” 2 Corinthians 12:9
- Because we are ordinary, we can help and witness to other ordinary people. We’ve been where they are.
- Like Paul used his circumstances, “I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel.” Philippians 1:12
Hebrews 11:32-37 talks about other unlikely heroes of faith. These were other ordinary people that are now considered extra-ordinary and are remembered forever simply because they were obedient to God.
How are you considered ordinary and how might God be using that to bring about His glory?