We’ve been working through the Old Testament looking for the New Testament Jesus hundreds, even thousands, of years before He was born. They’re all great stories on their own, but they absolutely paint a picture of who Jesus will be and what he’ll do for those who believe. Jesus claimed that the entire Old Testament pointed to Him (Luke 24:27, 44; John 5:39, 46; Romans 1:1-2; 1 Peter 1:10-12). Since the Book of Zechariah is a part of the OT, let’s look to see how it points to Jesus.
Zechariah lived, and the book was written, 500 or so years before Jesus was born. The Book of Zechariah is one of the Old Testament books most frequently quoted in the New Testament. Zechariah’s prophecy begins with many vivid and complex visions that are interpreted by an angel (for Zechariah and for us). These detailed Messianic references (pointing to the Messiah) are clearly fulfilled in the life of Jesus.
- He repeatedly points us to the coming of “the Branch” -Zech. 3:8; 6:12
- This is the messianic offspring of David promised in Jeremiah 23:5 and Jeremiah 33:15
- He will purify his people and remove their sin in one day -Zech. 3:9
- He will be both King and Priest -Zech. 6:13
- This Branch will come lowly and riding on the offspring of a donkey -Zech. 9:9-10
- He will be an only son and will be pierced -Zech. 12:10 (even talks about the 30 pieces of silver given to Judas)
- He will be killed for his sheep who will continue to endure great suffering until the time of the end -Zech. 13:7–14:5
- Yet the outcome of the suffering and pain will be the final victory of God and the vindication of his people -Zech. 14:9
Writing to people who were discouraged by living (we can be too), Zechariah encourages us to look forward to the day when the Lord would act once again. The righteous King will come to bring salvation and to bring an end to war and suffering. Zech. 9:9–17
Keep pressing forward. Claim the promises of the 66 books of the Bible written by 35 different authors over thousands of years, all pointing to the person of Jesus, the Savior who is coming back for all those who believe.
Message adapted from the Christ in all Scripture Series…April 08, 2019 by: Iain M. Duguid