The book of Hebrews begins by establishing who Jesus is. He is sufficient and greater than all. It is this truth that we are grounded on.
Everything is about Jesus and everything points to Him.
There are numerous examples of this in scripture:
- Old Testament – How God chose and developed a nation that His Son would be born into. This nation was set apart for God’s glory and divine plan. Isaiah and other prophets promising the Messiah.
- Nature – Romans 1 - God’s invisible qualities being understood from what has been made, we are without excuse
- Several NT books start off establishing who Jesus is.
- Matthew: Genealogy…Abraham to David, through the exile, to Joseph and to Jesus
- Mark: Quoting Isaiah about John the Baptist to prepare the way for Jesus the Messiah
- Luke: Jesus’ birth story
- John: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.
- Back to Hebrews
- 1:1-3: “In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.”
At the very beginning the author is making sure Jews, and all of us, understand who their Savior is – Jews were clinging to Judaism or making others follow these practices, those who did believe would fall back into old patterns, patterns of earning salvation. Others have distorted the truth claiming Jesus was not fully God and fully man, he was not perfect, did not exist, or did not rise again.
This is the foundation for our lives. Who Jesus is and who we are in Him. There are many falsehoods today, yesterday, and thousands of years ago, so many distortions of the Truth. Today, through the Bible and the Holy Spirit it is undeniable who Jesus really is and what His sacrifice means. This is why God led so many of the authors of the Bible to begin their books by establishing who Jesus is. That is the truth and how and where we are grounded.
We must believe and be saved and need to begin our lives and our days in step with the Spirit by pointing to Jesus.
We need to be set apart and holy as God’s chosen people…being called Christians, we need to be true followers of Christ. We need to strive, fall, and strive again as we move forward in God’s love and grace. We will fall but Jesus will walk with us as we point our lives and others’ lives to Christ as image bearers of our God.